Wednesday, July 10, 2013

2 1/2 weeks to go...pack your bags, folks, the time has come!

Ok, plans are shaping up nicely for the reunion weekend.  At this point we have nearly 60 people planning to be there!  The primary gathering site will be the Palisades with additional activities throughout the Garretson area.

We will be gathering at the Palisades on Friday morning/noonish/early afternoon (hey, I am a McDonald, so that's as precise as I'm able/willing to get!) AT THE COVERED SHELTER TO THE LEFT OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE PARK.  There are no planned activities for the afternoon since everyone will be arriving at various times, but obviously it'll be a good time for socialization and exploration of the Palisades State Park opportunities.  That shelter is reserved for the entire weekend and will be our primary meeting spot.

Meal schedule:

Dinner Friday evening will be prepared by Chef John McDonald.  The menu is grilled hamburger, hotdogs, brats, and salads

Breakfast/Brunch Saturday morning will be their famous waffle breakfast prepared by Chefs Bud Dickerson and Pat McDonald

Dinner Saturday evening will be at Annie's Cafe in Garretson and catered by Annie.  It will be a buffet style Mexican meal (I think?).  There will be a live band for our listening enjoyment

Breakfast/Brunch Sunday morning will be prepared by Chefs Nathan and Jessica DeBord.  The menu TBD

Mid-afternoon meal on Sunday will be at the Garretson Golf Club and catered by Annie of Annie's Cafe.  I believe the menu is still TBD

Keep in mind that I have no memory so much of this could just be in my demented mind, but I'm pretty sure Jen has it under control and will make sure we're adequately fed and watered.

Activities:

They will be loose...I think everyone will agree that trying to schedule planned activities for this family would be an exercise in futility.  Hopefully, we'll want to do most everything together (the operative word is 'hopefully'), but since we all know Garretson like the backs of our liver-spotted hands, we can discuss as a group as we gather each morning what activities we'd like to do that day.

Obviously, the weather will influence our decision making and may require being creative - yes we can!
There are so many options available between Garretson and Sioux Falls and I'm sure we can all agree on the best choices for each day and then make sure we all meet up at our agreed upon location.  I can hear Mom's laugh as I write this!  What I have learned from being in this family (for what, 30+ years now?) is that it would be futile to try to create a schedule ahead of time.  This would be a good topic of conversation - activities, I mean - over dinner Friday evening.

Lodging:

Unfortunately, we'll be spread all over the southeastern corner of SD.  A few of us will be camping at the Palisades, others at City Park, and the rest will be staying at hotels or homes in Brandon, SF, Rock Rapids, and Dell Rapids.  Which means we all have to make a CONCERTED effort to be diligent about the schedule and remember that the purpose of the weekend is to BE TOGETHER not to be out doing our own thing.

Kim and I will have staying in our little RV at the Palisades so it can be used by babies, children, adults, anyone needing a nap or just an air conditioned place to cool off.  The morning meals will also be prepared in it, assuming the amps can handle the equipment.  Plan B would be to prepare them in SF - Ron's house?
I will bring along folding chairs, blankets, and anything else I have room for that would improve comfort.

Pontoon Ride:

I have had minimal response for reservations for the pontoon boat rides.  I will contact the Rekstad's to find out if they can reserve a few spots each day without a firm commitment.  Will try update this once I know more.

General Information:

All of Joe and Miriam McDonald's remaining 9 children will be attending this event.  We are all so excited that we will be together again for a happy occasion, and in the place where we grew up and have so many memories.  Visiting the family grave-sites will be high on my list, as no doubt will be for most of you.

The majority of our children will also be attending, as well as many grandchildren, several of whom will be meeting this group for the first time.  I'm sure their parents will prepare them appropriately :)

There will also be representation from the Ripple family, which is so right and fitting after all the summers they visited us while we were growing up.  Our 4 parents and Tremblay grandparents will all be smiling upon us as we celebrate our legacy together and know they 'done well'!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that McDonald's will probably want some refreshments readily available - beer, wine, water? - at all times so if you live in the area and have a large cooler, please bring it with you.  We'll need to come up with a plan on Friday evening about purchasing and charging.

Jen and I are going to shop for food on Thursday.  Once we have that purchased and a final cost for the catered meals we will let everyone know what the individual cost will be for the weekend.

I'm sure I have forgotten something in my haste to get this posted.  If you think of something else, please let me know and I will add it.

Other ideas, thoughts, suggestions, etc. are welcome.  Just send me an email @ jeannemcdonald@msn.com







No comments:

Post a Comment